Building Permits

A building permit is required for any construction, alteration, or addition work. A building permit may also be required for repair work, depending on the nature of the repair.

Requirements For Filing a Building Permit

  • A completed Building Permit Application, which will include the names, addresses and telephone numbers of the owner and/or applicant and all contractors
  • A completed Environmental Assessment Short Form
  • Architectural plans, stamped and signed by a N.Y.S. licensed Architect or Professional Engineer. Please provide 1 of each, in the following formats:
    • Full size set
    • 11 by 17 size set
    • Note: For central air conditioning and generators 2 copies of specs may be submitted in place of architectural plans
  • One copy of a property survey showing all existing conditions
  • Contractor’s Certificate of Liability listing the Town of Mamaroneck as the Certificate Holder and Additional Insured
  • Worker’s Compensation Insurance: Contractor’s with employees: New York State Workmen's Compensation Certificate or Contractors with no employees: New York State Certificate of Attestation CE-200 or Property owners (who will be performing all work): Waiver of Insurance (available at Building Department) signed and notarized.
  • Westchester County Home Improvement License
    • Notice to all contractors and permit applicants: ​Please be advised, under new state and municipal laws, the workers’ compensation and disability benefits insurance must be submitted on separate state approved forms. The standard "Accord Forms" are not acceptable proof of workers’ compensation coverage. Further information or questions may be answered by calling the N.Y.S. Bureau of Compliance at 518-486-6307 or by visiting their website or by contacting the insurance provider
  • A completed Tree Permit Application if trees are to be removed. The application will provide further information
  • Application for Surface Water, Erosion and Sediment Control to be filed with the Building Permit Application (applies if you are adding more than 100 sq. ft. of impervious surface)
  • A Street Opening Permit is required if the activity: 
    • Extends beyond your property line and into the Town's right-of-way
    • Uses heavy equipment (such as a backhoe) to cross over the Town's right-of-way
    • May cause damage to the Town's right-of-way
    • Click here for more information
It can take from 2 to 4 weeks for the review of an application and plans. Permit fees are fixed when the application is approved.

Note: Renewal fee: a fee equal to the now current charged permit fee will be due if the permit is not completed within one year. A 6-month extensions may be requested from this office.

Helpful Resources